- 1 1/2 cup (3.5 dl) Greek yogurt (or any full fat natural yogurt)
- 2 tbsp lemon or lime juice
- 2 tbsp garam masala
- 2 tbsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp salt
- 3 lbs (1.5 kg) boneless chicken (I prefer thigh meat)
- 1 stick (100 g) butter
- 4 tbsp neutral oil
- 2 yellow onions, diced
- 4 cloves of garlic
- 3 tbsp fresh ginger
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 2 tomatoes, diced
- 1 chicken bouillon cube
- 1-2 tsp sambal oelek (optional, for some heat)
- 1 tsp sugar
- salt, to taste
- 1 1/2 cup (3.5 dl) heavy cream
- 2 tsp tomato paste
- 3 tbsp ground almonds (optional)
- 1/2 cup (1 dl) chopped cilantro (optional, but highly recommended)
Mix yogurt, citrus juice and spices. Add the chicken and turn to coat. Cover and refrigerate for 20 minutes up to a day.
Melt butter in oil and sauté onions until translucent. Add garlic and ginger, and let them cook for a minute or two before adding tomatoes, bouillon cube and spices.
Add the chicken and all of the marinade. Bring to a boil and let it simmer until the chicken is cooked through (about 15 minutes). Stir occasionally to prevent it from sticking to the bottom.
Finally, stir in cream, tomato paste and ground almonds (if used) and let it simmer until the stew thickens (about an hour).
Garnish with cilantro and serve with basmati rice or pilaf and fresh naan bread.