- 3 cups (7 dl) bread flour (all-purpose works too)
- 1 tsp instant yeast or 25 g fresh yeast
- 2 cups (5 dl) lukewarm milk
- 2 1/2 cups (6 dl) rågsikt (1 cup rye flour + 1 1/2 cup bread flour)
- 1 tsp each of ground caraway and fennel (or anise)
- 1/2 cup (1 dl) dark corn syrup (or Swedish ljus sirap)
- 1/2 cup (1 dl) sugar
- 2 tsp salt
- 3/4 stick (75 g) soft butter, cut into pieces
Mix and knead the starter sponge for 10 minutes. Cover and allow to rise until double the size (1 – 2 hours).
Add the remaining ingredients and knead for another 10 minutes. Cover and allow to rise until double the size (1 – 2 hours).
Shape into two loaves and place in greased loaf pans (or on a lined baking sheet). Prove until about double the size (about 1 hour).
Meanwhile, set the oven to 350°F (175°C).
Bake for 40-50 minutes. The inner temperature should be 206°F (97°C) when done.
Brush with syrup diluted with water when hot out of the oven, then let them cool in the pans under a towel.
This is a modified version of a recipe by matgeek.