- 2 lb (1 kg) starchy potatoes (I recommend Russet or King Edward)
- 1 cup (2.5 dl) all-purpose flour
- 1 tbsp potato or corn starch
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 egg
- 1 lb (400 – 500g) salt pork or fresh pork mixed with bacon
- 1 onion
- 1 – 2 tsp allspice (or use pepper if you prefer)
- salt to taste
Peel and cut the potatoes and boil them until soft.
Drain, then leave them out to dry and cool off for a few minutes.
Meanwhile, dice pork and onion, sauté until cooked, then mix with allspice/pepper and salt to taste.
Press the cool potatoes through a sieve or use a potato ricer to shred them.
Toss with sifted flour, starch and salt, add the egg and combine into a smooth dough.
Roll the dough into a log and cut it in 12 equal pieces. Shape each piece into a bowl, add 1 tbsp of filling, then fold and pinch to seal. Roll the filled dumpling lightly between your palms to form a smooth ball.
Poach the dumplings, a few at a time, in lightly salted water until they float to the surface.
Serve with lingonberry/cranberry preserves and melted or clarified butter.