- 2 cups (5 dl) pork or beef blood
- 1 1/4 cups (3 dl) beer or ale
- 1 red onion (minced or puréed)
- 1/2 cup (1 dl) dark corn syrup (or Swedish ljus sirap)
- 1/2 cup (100 g) butter or lard (or both)
- 2 1/2 cups (6 dl) rye flour
- 1 tbsp salt
- 1 tsp dried ginger
- 1/2 tsp marjoram or oregano
- 1/2 tsp ground white pepper
- 1/2 tsp ground cloves
- butter for sautéing
Set the oven to 350°F (175°C).
Whisk blood and beer, then add remaining ingredients and mix until smooth.
Pour into a lined loaf pan.
Seal the pan with aluminum foil and bake in a bain-marie for 1 hour (check with a cake tester).
Allow to cool in the bain-marie until room temperature, then refrigerate overnight to set.
Cut into 1/2 inch (1 cm) slices and sauté in butter for a few minutes on each side.
Serve with crispy bacon/salt pork and lingonberry/cranberry preserves or lingonberry slaw (my recipe here).